This is a one-pot family meal spicy shrimp recipe with wild rice. Rich, delicious and a perfect 30 minutes dinner for busy weeknights.
Next time try this seafood pizza for pizza night.
Shrimps, are the most welcomed kind of protein in our home. My kids go crazy over shrimps. One of them can wake up in the morning and eat shrimps!!!.
Seriously, this kids is obsessed with eating strange things in strange times of the day. But he likes to explore new flavors and new combinations. Just yesterday, I found him dipping smoked beef snack sticks in melted vanilla ice cream!!! crazy, I know.
I know shrimps are not the most budget friendly food to buy, but you can make them go further with the addition of inexpensive ingredients like rice.
You can of course use your favorite kind of rice to go along with this recipe, just adjust the water. I know my kids would have loved it more if I made it with jasmine rice. But they ate it anyways and they ate it although it was spicy and they loved it, asked for more and asked me to make it again and again. So I am waiting for a good sale to make it once more.
What makes this dish preferable for me is that it comes together in less than 30 minutes. So easy to make and in just one pot which cuts lots of cleaning time as well. With busy days like what we have nowadays, this is so good.
So let's begin by sauteing dice onions and garlic for a couple of minutes until fragrant.Then add the spices, warning lots of spices are used, so flavorful.
Add tomato paste and sauce, stir to combine.
Add rice and stir.
Add water, cloves and a cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil, cover and let it cook.
When the rice is halfway through, add the shrimps and continue cooking.
Serve garnished with cilantro leaves and lemon wedges.
I've recently fallen in love with wild rice . I'm still using the packaged varieties just because it has the amount of water that is exactly perfect. I've tried buying wild rice in bulk, but I do not know why it did not work!!. It either gets too sticky or too dry and I always end up with uncooked rice. Seriously guys if you have a foolproof ratio of water/wild rice blend please tell me in the comments below.
- This is a quick and easy recipe for shrimp scampi recipe that takes just minutes to prepare, perfect for busy days.
- Craving buttery, garlicky goodness? Enjoy this Baked Shrimp Scampi recipe – it's easy, elegant, and ready in under 30 minutes!
I hope you'll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Spicy one pot wild rice shrimp
- 3 Tablespoons oil.
- 1 small yellow onion , diced.
- 2 garlic cloves , minced.
- ½ cup tomato sauce.
- 2 Tablespoon tomato paste.
- ½ Tablespoon kosher salt.
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric.
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- 1 cinnamon stick.
- 4 cloves .
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder.
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- 4 cups water.*
- 1 ½ cup of long grain wild rice blend.*
- 12 oz peeled and divined shrimps.
- n a pot over medium-high heat, add oil then sauté the onion for about 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add garlic and sauce for another minute.
- Add the turmeric, black pepper and cumin.
- Stir the spices for another minute to bring up all the fragrance.
- Add in the tomato sauce, paste stir until everything is combined.
- When it starts to bubble add the rice, stir for a minute then add water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover for 20 minutes.
- Add the shrimps, cover and continue cooking for 20 more minutes.
- Fluff with fork and serve with lemon wedges on the side.