Bassema is an Egyptian cake made with all purpose flour, semolina and lots of coconut flakes all baked to perfection then soaked in sweet simple syrup and garnished with nuts.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- An authentic Egyptian recipe that is very easy to make.
- A sweet dessert made with simple ingredients.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
- Unsweetened coconut.
- All purpose flour.
- Baking Powder
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Simply mix all the ingredients well together spread in a greased baking sheet sprinkle top with nuts and cut in squares.
- Bake in a 350F preheated oven for almost 45 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile prepare the simple syrup as usual by boiling water and sugar together for 5 minutes then add the vanilla and lemon juice then simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Pour the syrup while it is hot over the hot baseema- both got to be hot. Let it cool a bit and serve.
- Here is an authentic koshari recipe with all the tips and tricks to get the best koshari on the table.
- Molokhia is a traditional Egyptian green soup full of earthy and garlicky flavors. Try the best and easiest Molokhia recipe, it is a fans favorite recipe.
- Basbousa is a traditional Egyptian dessert made from semolina flour, coconut, yogurt and soaked in simple syrup. It’s delicious and easy to make!
- 2 cups of finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup of semolina
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup of milk
- ⅓ cup ghee
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder.
- Nuts and raisins for garnishing or simply use more coconut flakes
For the syrup:
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Make the syrup:
- In a saucepan over medium heat mix in sugar, water vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Wait for the mixture to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let it cool down completely.
- Grease a 9 or 10 inch pie dish or rounded baking dish
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients well together
- Wet your hands with a little water and spread the mixture into the baking dish
- Sprinkle top with nuts is using
- Bake in a 350F preheated oven for almost 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- When it is done, take the baseman out and pour cooled syrup over, let it soak the syrup before serving.
- Do not heat up the oven before you are done with the cake, it is best to let it rest while the oven is heating up
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
First published Jun 15, 2013 . Last updated August 29, 2022 for editorial content.