What to do with pumpkin seeds? Roast them. They are packed full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals and they are a great vehicle for incredible flavors. Here is how to roast shelled pumpkin seeds with a spicy Shawarma flavor.
Try this new take for a different Pumpkin dessert, Egyptian crustless Pumpkin pie.
This is how to roast raw pumpkin seeds in the best possible salty way. This roasted pumpkin seeds got the approval of many of my family and friends. So in short, do not throw away those pumpkin seeds, they are a healthy snack for the whole family.
We are very much used to eating seeds with shell, the most popular one is watermelon seeds followed by sunflower seeds. In fact, for my little family movie nights are not perfect without having one or two of those seeds along with popcorn🍿.
How do you clean pumpkin seeds?
This is really the hardest part, it is not that hard but it is the most part that requires some work.
- First you want to buy a big pumpkin, the bigger the pumpkin the bigger the seeds.
- Scoop the pumpkin seeds into a colander. There will be some stringy pulp that will come out with the seeds.
- Rinse all under running cold water.
- Remove as much as you can of the stringy pumpkin things. There might be some still attached to the seeds, but do not worry , it will be easier to remove those when seeds are dry.
- Spread them on kitchen towl and let them dry overnight.
Do you boil pumpkin seeds before roasting?
Some people suggest boiling pumpkin seeds in salty water to help get rid of these slippery slimy strings. Personally, I haven't tried this method before, I am just ok with cleaning them under running water and that's it for me.
Should pumpkin seeds dry before roasting?
Yes, dry pumpkin seeds roast mush better than wet ones.
What are the benefits of eating pumpkin seeds?
Pumpkin seeds are full of nutrients, such as omega3, protein, iron, zinc, calcium and much more. It is said that it can help manage diabetes. Source.
How do you make spicy pumpkin seeds?
- Start by combining all the spices along with olive oil in a small bowl.
- Mix in the clean and dry pumpkin seeds.
- Put the pumpkin seeds on a parchment lined baking sheets.
- Evenly spread the seeds on the baking sheet and bake until golden brown.
- pour lemon over the seeds while hot and mix with a spoon.
- Let it cool down for 10 minutes before.
And that's it guys, you will have the most flavorful, salty, lemony and mouthwatering pumpkin seeds.
I hope you'll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil.
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom.
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika preferably smoked.
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional.
- 2 cup raw pumpkin seeds cleaned and washed and patted dry.
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice.
- Heat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, combine first 7 ingredients.
- Combine pumpkin seeds with spices and toss to coat well.
- Spread seeds on a 15 x 10 baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until light golden brown and crisp.
- Take the seeds out and add the lime juice, toss and let it cool before serving.