Meet our new favorite apple dessert, apple crisp bars! These bars are tasty and unbelievably easy, perfect for last minute company.
Learn how to make apple roses here, beautiful and elegant dessert.
A heaping cinnamon-y apple layer sandwiched between shortbread crust and crunchy oat brown sugar topping. Add some homemade caramel and you'll be hooked. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you'll do your happy dance.
Fall is just around the corner and fall means apples.. loads of apples. These apple crisp bars are a very easy way to enjoy apples sitting around on your kitchen counter.
For the majority of my youth life, I’ve been basically a walking stick!! with literally no desire for desserts at all. Now, guess what? I am a walking sweet tooth. I do not know when or why this has happened. Probably change of location?, or may be getting older??... ignore that last statement. I just seem to always long for that after-dinner dessert.
This is a very quick and easy dessert that can be made, frozen and just take a square or two, if you can resist when the sweet craving hits.
How to make apple crisp bars?
- In your food processor, add butter, brown sugar, flour and salt then process until small lumps form.
- Line a 13x9 baking dish with parchment paper letting it dangle a bit for easy lifting out of the dish.
- Spread the mixture and pressing with hands to level.
- Bake for 15 minutes in a 300F oven.M/li>
- While the base is baking we'll make the topping.
- In a bowl, add the topping ingredients and mix with fork until well crumbled and mixed
- Store in fridge until you finish the filling.
- In another bowl, add apple slices, lemon juice and mix well to coat.
- Then add sugar and flour and mix to coat apple slices
- Take the base out of the oven and increase temperature to 350F.
- Sprinkle half the oat mixture on the base layer.
- Add the apple slices and spread evenly.
- Top that with the rest of the topping and bake for almost 40 minutes until top is nicely browned.
Take a bar or two or even three, these are very addicting. I bet you'll do like I did... One day, I sneaked them straight out of the fridge, no heating, no caramel sauce, no fancy ice cream. They are addicting.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Apple crisp bars
For the base
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour.
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
For the filling:
- 4 large apples peeled and sliced.
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice.
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour.
- 2 Tablespoons sugar.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
For the topping:
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour.
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats.
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar.
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder.
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- A dash of salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cut into pieces.
- Pre heat oven to 300F.
Make the base:
- In your food processor add base ingredients and pulse until small lumps form.
- Spread mixture into a 13x9 pan and press tightly with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
- Bake the base for 15 minutes.
- Take out of oven and raise temperature to 350F.
Make the filling:
- In a bowl, combine filling ingredients and mix well until apple slices are well coated.
Make the topping:
- In a deep bowl, combine topping ingredients and mix with a fork until it resembles small crumbs.
- Spread half the topping mixture over the base then add the apples and level.
- Sprinkle the rest of the topping on top of the apple layer to cover.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Let it cool down, cut and serve.