Avocado chicken salad recipe, this is where healthy meets delicious. A creamy avocado chicken salad yet with a desirable crunch.
Avocado chicken salad
Avocados, well I did not have a good first impression with this healthy food. I have knows avocados only for like 9is years but did not like it at first, read the whole story here. As much as I did not like it at first, I like it so much now. And guess what? I am looking for new ways to incorporate avocados into our diet.
We did not have avocados when we grew up in Egypt, but me and my husband haven fallen in love with it and my hubby was the first between the two of us. Followed by other two kids, so 4 out of 5 in my little family actually like avocados.
Avocados are being mixed up with grilled chicken, chives, dill, garlic then drizzled in a tangy salty easy dressing. This is a great way to use leftover chicken from last night's dinner.
How do you incorporate avocados into lunch?
Make this salad for example, my next is to add it to your simple green salad. Spread some guacamole on toast and enjoy or simple consume with eggs, hard boiled or omelet.
How long does chicken salad keep for?
Normally it stays in the fridge for 4-5 days but ours here does not follow that rule. You see it does not have any mayo or eggs or anything but avocados tend to brown quickly so any leftovers should be sealed in an air-tight container in the fridge.
What are the primary ingredients of this avocado chicken salad?
This salad main ingredients are grilled chicken and avocado. Spices are needed of course, garlic, lemon and dill. DO not skip the dill it is one of the main flavor booster in this recipe. To give it a meaty and satisfying depth I've also added pecans. Feel free to skip pecans and substitute with any other nut of your choice.
How to make the best avocado chicken salad?
- In a deep bowl, add the salad ingredients. Avocado, grilled or leftover chicken, pecan, green onion and dill weed.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake to combine well.
- Pour dressing over and toss to coat then serve immediately.
Variations for this recipe:
Use canned tuna instead of chicken, this will taste so good as well. Also you can up the protein and use boiled eggs, bacon, chickpeas, shredded cheese or other nuts variations. For a little sweetness try adding dry cranberries. Add more veggies like peas, corn, use red onions instead of green ones. The possibilities are endless here. This is a really goo base for a lot of variations each day. I am definitely going to try this avocado salad from gimmedelicious.
What is good with this avocado chicken salad?
This is a very versatile salad recipe that goes pretty well with many things. You can serve it with:
Other great sides on the blog
Avocado chicken recipe
A fantastic side dish or lunch to use your leftover chicken or any leftover meat. If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a 5 star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thanks you.
Avocado Chicken Salad:
- 2 (360g) avocados peeled, pitted and sliced.
- 1 pound chicken breast grilled or you can use leftover rotisserie chicken. Note1
- 3/4 cup (45g) Chives (or green onion, chopped.
- 1 cup (100g) pecan.
- 1/4 cup (7g) dill chopped.
- 1 large garlic clove minced.
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon juice freshly squeezed.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil.
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt or to taste.
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper.
- In a deep bowl, add salad ingredients.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small jar.
- Pour dressing over the rest of the ingredients and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.