Made-from-scratch creamy, Cheesy Chicken Tetrazzini. One of the easy baked chicken pasta recipes that I’ve ever made. This is how to make chicken tetrazzini, very tasty, creamy and loaded with cheese.
Chicken tetrazzini is a classic dish that is hearty, feeds a whole family and such a comfort food during the cold months. Chicken tetrazzini ingredients are usually chicken, pasta, creamy sauce, with some fresh mushrooms and peas then topped with parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
If I had made it that way, my kids would have never even take a bite. Why?
They do not like mushrooms. They hate it when I hide vegetables and they will scrape the whole breadcrumblayer away. I will end up with a whole pasta casserole that I will need to finish up me and my hubby. Not complaining but …🤷
Is chicken tetrazzini Italian?
No, according to wikiseems that it is not. It is an American dish named after an Italian opera star.
Can I use thighs instead of breasts?
Yes indeed, and I bet it is going to be even better. You can also use leftover turkey or even seafood.
Can I add canned artichokes?
Yes, and many people say it is much much better with artichokes than peas, so next time I am going to make a small batch with artichokes for me and my husband.
Now how to make chicken tetrazzini?
Let me show you how simple and cheesy this can get 😄.
First of all, you can use leftover chicken, think rotisserie from last nigh for example. Or do as I did.
I’ve used a simple marinade for my chicken. Garlic, oil, salt and pepper.
I did not have time so I just let it be until my oven went up to 450F. Placed it in there for 25 minutes until no longer pink. Then took it out and diced.
While the chicken was baking, time to make the sauce. Some butter+oil in a pan then cooking flour until golden.
Pour in the stock, milk and cream whisking everything together then season.
Cook the pasta al dente according to your package. Add three cheese, any will do the trick but adding white cheddar is a must for us. This time I’ve included mozzarella, Colby along with the white cheddar.
Mix in the cubed chicken and combine everything together adjusting the salt and pepper to your taste. Pour in the sauce evenly and pop in the oven until cheese melt, bubbly and browns a bit on the edges.
Please note that this is NOT a creamy mac and cheese recipe – not meant to be! The cheese will be rather clumpy and not spread throughout but it is marvelous that way!
Plate, serve and enjoy. If you have leftovers, this reheats even better and you can also add a little butter to it while reheating, although I did not. It freezes very well too, just take it out and let it thaw, heat and enjoy.
I hope you’ll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter! And do not forget to rate the recipe as well. Thanks.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira’s Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Cheesy Chicken Tetrazzini
For the Chicken:*
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil.
- Juice of half a lemon.
- 2 Large garlic cloves crushed.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste.
- 3 (2 lb) boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
For the white sauce:
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil.
- 8 Tablespoons flour.
- 1 1/2 cups milk.
- 1 cup heavy cream.
- 2 cups chicken broth/stock.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese block diced.
- 8 oz white cheddar cheese block diced.
- 8 oz Colby cheese block diced.
- 12 oz linguine pasta.
Bake the chicken:
- In a medium bowl combine, oil, lemon juice, garlic salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add Chicken breasts and toss them around to coat well, if you have time cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or else let them set until the oven is ready.
- Preheat your oven to 450F. Place chicken on a lined baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes until chicken no longer pink or the internal temperature is 165F at the thickest part of the chicken.
- Set aside to cool and slice.
- While chicken is baking:
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente , rinse with cold water and set aside.
Prepare the sauce:
- In a pot over medium heat, melt butter with oil then add flour and whisk until lightly golden.
- Pour in the milk, cream and stock whisking the mixture until it comes to a smooth consistency, adjust salt and pepper.
Assemble and bake:
- Pre heat oven to 350F.
- In a 13x9 inch baking dish combine pasta, cheese and diced chicken.
- Pour in the sauce evenly over the pasta.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese melts and mixture becomes bubbly and a little golden on the sides.
- Let it cool down and bit, plate and serve with a side salad.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
You might also like