Gebneyah or Jibneyah is simply a dessert made from a dough that has cream cheese as one of the main ingredients. It is very very delicious and easy to make. You can drizzle it with simple syrup- my fav.-, honey, powdered sugar, nuts ... it is yummy in all cases. So let's start
You will need:
- 2 c of all purpose flour.
- 240 gm (almost 8 ounces) of cream cheese.
- 1.5 tsp of dry yeast.
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar.
- 1/4 c of lukewarm water- more or less.
- Oil for frying.
For the simple syrup: you are going to need a thick version
- 2 c of granulated sugar.
- 1 cup of water.
- a dash of vanilla
- juice from 1/2 lemon.
- 1 tsb of both/any of rose or orange blossom water- optional.
- Combining the dry ingredients well together then add cheese,water until you get a nice consistent dough that does not stick.
- let it rest in a warm place for an hour.
- Roll your dough and cut with cookie cutter.
- Deep fry them on medium until they are golden brown. They will puff nicely as they should be hollow from inside when you eat them.
- While it is still hot, drizzle with room temperature syrup or powdered sugar. You can serve with fresh fruit too.
Yumm 🙂 Enjoy.