Have you ever tried to make turkey meatloaf only to end up with a dry one? Check out this recipe and you'll never look back, you'll never believe the secret ingredient you can add to make a flavorful, moist turkey meatloaf.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- Lighter meatloaf recipe than the traditional ground beef one.
- Perfect meal for lazy days.
- Moist and so kid friendly, no one will taste the avocado in it.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Cut the avocado in half and scoop up the flesh in a deep bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Add chopped onions and bread crumbs and mix.
- Add all the spices and garlic, mix well and let it set for 10 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and lightly mix until incorporated
- Shape on a piece of parchment paper then left and place into your baking pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the glaze ingredients then pour over the meatloaf. Return to oven for 10 more minutes.
- If you have picky eaters you might want to mash it really well to eliminate visible clumps.
- If you want your meatloaf browned all around, bake on a baking sheet and not in a loaf pan.
- I've tested the recipe with and without eggs, both were tasty but we felt the texture was better without. If you want to test it for yourself just add 2 large eggs lightly beaten to the mixture.
- Make it gluten free by using gluten free breadcrumbs or swap for equal amount of oats.
- Make it low carb and use almond flour.
- Substitute the ground turkey for ground chicken, ground lamb or sausage.
If you have a meat thermometer then it should register between 165F-170F. If you don't then it should feel somewhat firm when you press on it and the juices run clear.
📣 Related Recipes
- A meatloaf is one of those dishes that everyone loves but many can't make it right. Here is a delicious perfect moist meatloaf recipe with bread crumbs to try now!
- Can't wait for a whole meatloaf to cook, try these meatloaf cupcakes they cook in almost third the time.
- This meatloaf with oatmeal is a great option for a super juicy, delicious and easy family dinner. With its delicious glaze, this meatloaf will make kids run to the dinner table!
- Here is a flavorful twist to the old fashioned classic, Salsa Meatloaf is a moist meatloaf bursting with tangy and spicy flavors.
- Roll up your sleeves and get ready to savor the sensational flavors of Kofta Kebab. An unforgettable combination of herbs, spices and juicy meat that will leave you craving for more!
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
Moist Turkey Meatloaf
- 1 ripe avocado about 160g
- 1 onion about 150g
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs 65g
- 1 teaspoon pink salt or to taste.
- ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 large garlic cloves crushed.
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds ground turkey meat
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
For the glaze:
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- Preheat your oven to 400F
- In a deep bowl, scoop up the avocado flesh and mash with a fork.
- Add the breadcrumbs and onion and mix.
- Add garlic and all the spices, taste the mixture and adjust seasoning if needed. Let it set for 10 minutes.
- Add the eggs if using.
- Lightly mix in the ground turkey.
- Shape on a piece of parchment paper large enough to fit in a 9x13 loaf pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Prepare the glaze in a bowl, then spread over the loaf.
- Return to oven for 5-10 more minutes.
- Take the loaf out and wait for it to cool down for 10 -15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- One of my kids does not even like the sight of avocados and I was worried that he might sense what is in there. Surprisingly, he did not even ask when he saw some green bits here and there as I did not mince it super fine.
- I have tried both versions and tested it on my family. Personally adding eggs made the turkey unnecessarily over moist which is hard to believe when it comes to turkey meatloaves. But it was too tender for our taste. I have to say now of my kids liked it with eggs more.
- Serving suggestions: Here are some of our favorite sides to go with the meatloaf. Try this fragrant yellow rice or give this rice pilaf a try. Here's my favorite brussels sprouts dish or may be this roasted butternut squash.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
First published Feb 28, 2020. Last updated October 18, 2022 with important tips, clear step by step instructions and readability.
👩🏫 My Experience
I never really had turkey meatloaf when I was growing up, ground turkey was not a thing there when I was little. I liked the idea of having a leaner ground meat as an option, but never actually enjoyed it as it should be. I've had turkey meatloaves on occasions but it was always bland and dry. I tried a recipe before but my kids never really liked it.
In fact this bothered me a lot, so I set out on a mission to make a nice moist turkey meatloaf that my kids will actually enjoy. After some trials I added a secret healthy ingredient.. that was... avocado🥑.
If you are not a big fan of avocado, do not worry it will not make your meatloaf taste like one. Evidence is in my oldest kid!! He hates avocado to an extreme level, even more than he hates broccoli. I've tried a lot but he just still not there yet. I have to tell you I was skeptical and made some chicken for him as I was sure he wouldn't touch this meatloaf. Eventually I did not make real efforts, like mashing the avocados so finely, to hide it.
To my surprise, he actually ate it and even asked about the leftovers!!