You’ll love this easy sweet potato cookies recipe. These cookies are airy and fluffy, the kind that melts in your mouth. They are very easy to make especially if you are baking with kids, the best part is you can make it from leftover sweet potato.
These cookies are reminiscent of sweet potato cake in the best way possible. They are incredibly fluffy, thick and so tasty. Go very well with any kind of frosting or sauce.
If you need more baking with kids sort of cookies, try these super cute cinnamon cookies.
This recipe has been updated from the original November 2015 . Last updated December 2018.
For this recipe you will need:
Sweet potato, butter, sugar, baking powder, eggs, vanilla powder and semolina.
Do you get excited when temperatures drop in your area for soups, hot drinks and probably sweet potato?. In the Middle East, we usually think sweet potato only in winter days, when it is cold and gloomy. Street vendors go around selling grilled ones that taste so so good caramelized and so hot. For me, nothing beats sticky caramelized hot sweet potato in cold winter nights.
When it starts getting cold here in Colorado I usually head to the store to buy sweet potatoes, making them in the oven brings back the sweet memories of Egypt, but I usually end up with one or more abandoned ones in the fridge.
If this is your case too, stick them in the freezer and when you are ready, give them a new life with these incredibly delicious and fluffy cookies.
How do you get caramelized baked sweet potatoes?
Nothing is better than hot caramelized baked sweet potatoes. To do so, wash the sweet potato, slit it lengthwise and place on a pan then turn heat on to 400F. 30-40 minutes later ( depending on the size of the sweet potato you have) you’ll end up with great , soft caramelized and hot sweet potato.
Are canned sweet potatoes as good as fresh?
Well, I like the fresh better. It has more texture and is naturally sweet. Some people like canned as it is smoother and sweeter. So bottom line is, it depends completely on your preference.
How do I make sweet potato cookies?
This is a very forgiving recipe, so easy to make and does not even need a mixer. Also it is not too sweet, until of course you add your frosting.
- If you are using fresh sweet potato you’ll need to mash them with a fork then heat in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add unsalted butter, cubed. The heat from the sweet potato will melt the butter so no need to melt.
- Add sugar and combine well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients then mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- You’ll get a sticky dough so if you are new to baking you might find this uncomfortable, hence you can refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Scoop the dough and form small balls, stuff with nuts if you would like to.
- Brush with egg white and bake until lightly browned at the bottom.
I can brag day and night about the taste of these cookies, everybody in my home loved these, and I mean it EVERYBODY, but I was smart enough to top it with their favorite toppings. Usually you see these drizzled in the old boring simple syrup, but this time I drizzled them with different sauces so choose what’s best for your family. I’ve caramel lovers, white chocolate lovers, frosting lovers and brownie lovers in my home :), so I’ve made all these sauces and ribboned – if this is a word- my cookies with them, they were gone super fast.
These cookies are usually made with mashed potatoes but I’ve decided to get more adventurous and make them with sweet potatoes instead, they turned out even better than the original potato ones.
You might need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you so much for being a part of Amira’sPantry!
I love this baking sheets from Nordic Ware, they are very sturdy and do not bend at high temperatures.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira’s Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Sweet potato cookies
- 1 sweet potato about 0.5 lb, cooked,peeled and mashed.
- 3 Tbs granulated sugar.
- 3 Tbs semolina.
- 10 Tbs AP flour.
- 1/4 c butter room temperature.
- 1 Tbs baking powder.
- 2 eggs . separate one of them into yolk and white
- A pinch of vanilla powder.
- Cinnamon powder ground cloves, ground ginger.
- Optional filling: nuts any kind.
- For drizzling: Simple syrup caramel sauce, white chocolate sauce, cheese cream frosting.....
- Heat up the mashed sweet potato in your microwave just enough to melt the butter when added to it.
- Add the butter and mix until it melts and be incorporated in the sweet potato.
- Add the sugar, semolina, one whole egg and one egg yolk, vanilla, flour and your optional spices.
- Mix the ingredients until the flour disappears.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes ,if it is hard for you to handle right away.
- Scoop up 2-3 Tbs and form into a ball, fill with nuts if you chose to.
- Top each one with a nut and arrange in a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Brush with the egg white you have and bake in a 350F pre heated oven until nicely browned from the bottom.
- Drizzle with your favorite syrup or sauce, or even dust with some confectioners sugar.
You may also like: