Summery watermelon salad is the best sweet and salty treat specially in hot days. Great for parties and backyard gatherings. Here is a refreshing watermelon salad with a Mediterranean touch.
Best watermelon salad with feta
I am going to reveal a sacred Egyptian secret here for you guys. I grew up to eating watermelon cubes with feta sandwiches as a snack, lunch and even dinner. YES, Egyptians do eat watermelon and feta for dinner. You know when it gets over 100F and humidity suffocates you? that’s when the amazing watermelon and feta dinner shows up and welcomed by everyone.
Watermelon in salad?, you may think this is weird, but let me tell you it is the most refreshing thing you can ever have. Comes right before grapes and feta, yes we also are used to grapes with feta as dinners in hot days but that’s another story.
Arugula on the other hand is a traditional add on to feta cheese sandwiches. So why not combine all of these amazing flavors and textures together in a big bowl of watermelon salad and enjoy all day long? The addition of black olives is optional but highly appreciated. I am not really used to adding dressing to this salad, but it helped bringing all the flavors together.
What cheese goes good with watermelon?
Feta. It is the best to go with watermelon. The sweetness of watermelon goes very well with the saltiness of feta cheese. Some people use goat cheese but in my opinion feta is the best.
What goes good with watermelon?
Basil and cilantro goes well with watermelon so you can add them to your dressing. Some people use balsamic vinegar in the dressing as well. I am not used to my watermelon salad but I felt dressing really helped. Others also use tuna and white meat like chicken with watermelon but as an Egyptian we do not do that.
How to make Mediterranean watermelon salad
Making this salad is so easy, it is actually a matter of mixing the ingredients and that’s it. Nothing complicated and if you are feeling lazy just buy the already cut watermelon.
- Prepare and cut the watermelon. There is really no right or wrong regarding the quantities for this recipe.
- Prepare the arugula and add it to the top of the watermelon.
- Mix olive oil and mint in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, add feta cheese and pour the olive oil mixture . I love using dry mint but you are welcome to use fresh as well.
- Add olives pitted and cut in half.
- Add the cheese to the watermelon bowl and toss everything together then serve immediately.
Variations of the watermelon salad
You can pretty much add other things or change the flavors as you like. Try adding basil, oregano, fresh parsley or cilantro to the mix. Use spring mix instead of just arugula. You might want to skip the olives and use grapes for a sweeter salad, add cucumbers, tomatoes … it is really very forgiving and you just need to go with what you like more.
I hope you’ll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter! Don’t want to miss a recipe?
Sign up for the FREE Amira’s Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Watermelon Feta Salad; Mediterranean Style
- 3 cups (420-450g) watermelon cubed.
- 1 cup (20g) baby arugula/spinach or a mix.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil.
- 2 teaspoons dry mint.
- 1/2 cup (80g) crumbled feta cheese.
- 1/3 cup (50g) pitted Kalamata olives.
- In a large bowl add watermelon cubes topped with arugula.
- In a medium bowl, olive oil and dry mint. Add feta and mix well then add olives.
- Add the feta mixtures to the bowl and gently toss everything together.
- Serve immediately.