Watermelon arugula salad is the best sweet and salty treat specially in hot days. Great for parties and backyard gatherings. Here is a refreshing watermelon salad with a Mediterranean touch.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- Very refreshing summer salad for a light lunch or snack.
- Sweet watermelon plus peppery arugula are a great flavor combination.
I grew up to eating watermelon cubes with feta sandwiches as a snack, lunch and even dinner. YES, Egyptians do eat watermelon and feta for dinner. You know when it gets over 100F and humidity suffocates you? that's when the amazing watermelon and feta dinner shows up and welcomed by everyone.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
- Feta cheese.
- Kalamata olives.
- Olive oil.
- Dry mint.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Prepare and cut the watermelon. There is really no right or wrong regarding the quantities for this recipe.
- Prepare the arugula and add it to the top of the watermelon.
- Mix olive oil and mint in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, add feta cheese and pour the olive oil mixture . I love using dry mint but you are welcome to use fresh as well.
- Add olives pitted and cut in half.
- Add the cheese to the watermelon bowl and toss everything together then serve immediately.
This salad is better enjoyed fresh as the arugula might get wilted, but if you have leftover place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
🍽️ Serve With
- This salad can stand on its own as a light lunch, it is great with wedges if pita bread.
- Try this salad with grilled chicken tenders, shish kebab, grilled shrimp or air fryer lamb chops.
You can pretty much add other things or change the flavors as you like. Try adding basil, oregano, fresh parsley or cilantro to the mix. Use spring mix instead of just arugula. You might want to skip the olives and use grapes for a sweeter salad, add cucumbers, tomatoes ... it is really very forgiving and you just need to go with what you like more.
Feta. It is the best to go with watermelon. The sweetness of watermelon goes very well with the saltiness of feta cheese. Some people use goat cheese but in my opinion feta is the best.
Basil and cilantro goes well with watermelon so you can add them to your dressing. Some people use balsamic vinegar in the dressing as well. I am not used to my watermelon salad but I felt dressing really helped. Others also use tuna and white meat like chicken with watermelon but as an Egyptian we do not do that.
📣 Related Recipes
- Black bean and chickpea salad is a delicious and nutritious dish that is perfect for a light lunch or as a side dish to a main meal. You are going to love how easy and packable this salad is, works great for picnics and lunch boxes.
- Keto Greek Salad is an easy to make impressive dish to serve at a dinner party. Loaded with healthy, fresh vegetables, tangy dressing and scrumptious feta cheese.
- White Bean Salad is a satisfying and protein-packed salad with a harmonious balance of flavors. Creamy white beans with fresh vegetables and zesty vinaigrette make for a refreshing and nutritious dish.
More Arugula Salads
- This Mediterranean Arugula Salad is simple, quick and easy famous summer side dish for your bbq party. It is a fresh, nutritious vegan dish that everybody will love.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises!
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
Mediterranean Watermelon Salad with Arugula
- 3 cups watermelon about (420-450g) cubed.
- 1 cup baby arugula almost (20g)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dry mint
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese about (80g)
- ⅓ cup pitted Kalamata olives about (50g)
- In a large bowl add watermelon cubes topped with arugula.
- In a medium bowl, olive oil and dry mint. Add feta and mix well then add olives.
- Add the feta mixtures to the bowl and gently toss everything together.
- Serve immediately.
- Make ahead, prepare the ingredients and store in separate containers. When ready to consume mix them all together.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
First published Aug 13, 2019 . Last updated May 3, 2023 with important tips, clear step by step instructions and readability.
👩🏫 My Personal Experience
Watermelon in salad?, you may think this is weird, but let me tell you it is the most refreshing thing you can ever have. Comes right before grapes and feta, yes we are also used to grapes with feta as dinners in hot days but that's another story.
Arugula on the other hand is a traditional add on to feta cheese sandwiches. So why not combine all of these amazing flavors and textures together in a big bowl of watermelon salad and enjoy all day long? The addition of black olives is optional but highly appreciated. I am not really used to adding dressing to this salad, but it helped bringing all the flavors together.