Arugula salad is an interesting side dish for summer bbq. An easy barbecue side dish that goes very well with bbq chicken or beef and it requires just a handful of ingredients.
Arugula, I hated it when I was a little kid. I seriously surprise myself as I get older of how many things I used to hate but now love!! My mom just tried convincing my kids to eat arugula.my oldest (the classic) refused to even try. My other two tried and the youngest kept running through the home saying how could even people eat this!!
I get it, most kids cannot eat arugula, it has s lightly bitter taste so it is not their favorite. Arugula is very popular in the Mediterranean recipes, in fact my mom eats arugula almost daily... breakfast, lunch or at dinner.
This simple arugula salad is a staple side dish for bbq dishes. It is always served in restaurants with kebabs and kofta kebabs. Parsley is also used in this recipe. Parsley is another staple green that is usually served with BBQ dishes, it is believed to help with digestion.
What are the health benefits of arugula?
I was brought up with the idea that arugula is a super food.. and it is. Arugula is a nutrient-dense food, high in fiber and vital nutrients but low in calories, sugar and carbohydrates. Source.
What do you serve at a BBQ party?
Usually greens and vegetables are very desirable in a bbq party. For a more Middle Eastern style try making, baba ganoush, tahini, hummus and tabouli. Also a chickpea salad or a simple couscous salad will be very filling with your bbq meats.
Is spinach or arugula better for you?
Both are good for you food. Spinach has more vitamin A, C, K, folate, potassium, magnesium, manganese, and iron while arugula is higher in calcium. Although spinach is slightly better for you I do not really recommend it in this salad as it is traditionally made with arugula and I believe tastes better. Source.
How to make arugula salad
Making this arugula salad is dead simple. You cannot go wrong with this salad, my only advice to you is to serve immediately to prevent welting.
- Place onion rings in cold water to cover and let it set for about 10 minutes. This helps is reducing the sharp taste of raw onions.
- Drain onions well, place in a deep bowl then sprinkle with sumac and mix well.
- Mix the dressing ingredients.
- Add the greens to the onion then pur the dressing over tossing to coat evenly. Serve immediately with your grilled meats.
I hope you'll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter! Don’t want to miss a recipe?
Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Arugula onion salad
- 1 Large (300g) red onion thinly sliced.
- 1 bunch (45g) parsley chopped.
- 2 cups (50g) baby arugula.
- 1 Tablespoon ground sumac.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste.
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Place onion rings in a bowl and cover with cold tap water. Let it set for 10 minutes.
- Drain onions and place in a big bowl.
- Add sumac and mix well with onions.
- Add chopped parsley, arugula and the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss well to combine.
- Serve immediately with various grilled meats.