These Cheesy Mashed Potatoes are the ultimate side dish for any meal. They are creamy, cheesy, and absolutely delicious! The potatoes are mashed with butter, cream cheese, and shredded cheese making them perfectly creamy and extra cheesy. This dish will be a winner for your entire family.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- A classic side dish that we take up notice of with a creamy and cheesy mash-up.
- It's richer, creamier, and altogether more delicious than the original recipe.
- This side dish is so easy to make that you'll be making it again and again in no time!
Mashed potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to any meal, and these cheesy mashed potatoes take them to a whole new level. Plus, they're so easy to make that you can whip up a side dish in no time!
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Add the potatoes and salt to a large pot and boil for 10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Drain off the excess water, and mash the potatoes. Add in cream cheese cubes.
- Melt the butter and warm the milk and then mix into the mashed potatoes. Stir in half of the cheddar and mozzarella cheese, season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the potatoes into a baking dish, sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese, cover, and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 5 minutes until the cheese is brown to your liking. Garnish and serve warm.
- For this recipe, russet potatoes or Idaho potatoes really work best.
- It's best to dice your potatoes into even-sized pieces so that you don't have to worry about some of the potatoes being overcooked.
- If your potatoes try to boil over, lay a wooden spoon across the top of the pan, and that will prevent it from bubbling over.
- I recommend cutting the cream cheese up into cubes so that it melts quickly.
- I've found that freshly grated cheese melts best in these potatoes, and gives the best cheese pull on top.
- For easy mashing, you can use a hand mixer to get the creamiest potatoes.
Store leftover cheesy mashed potatoes in an airtight container for up to 5 days. ️ I don't recommend freezing mashed potatoes.
⌛ Make Ahead
Making these potatoes ahead is very easy. Just assemble them in the casserole dish per the directions, and then cover the casserole dish with a lid, plastic wrap, or aluminum foil. Store them in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Then bake as directed above when you are ready to serve.
🍽️ Serve With
- For an extra bit of flavor, try adding some garlic powder to the potatoes.
- You can also add chopped turkey bacon pieces to the mashed potatoes for added texture and flavor.
- Parsley makes a delicious garnish for this recipe, but you could also garnish these sliced green onions or chives for extra flavor.
Simply microwave the mashed potatoes for 2-3 minutes until heated through. You can also reheat them in an oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes.
I don't recommend freezing mashed potatoes because they can become runny when thawed.
I recommend that you use russet potatoes but you could also use red potatoes.
📣 Related Recipes
- Do you love crispy potatoes? If so, give this Potato Balls recipe a try next time you are in the mood for something crunchy.
- Are you looking for a creative way to use leftover mashed potatoes? If so, give these Chicken and Mashed Potatoes a try.
- This Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe is the quickest and easiest way to get mashed potatoes on the table. Less than 30 minutes, no drain and no peel recipe, it can't get easier than that!
- If you prefer sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes then you will make this Sweet Potato Crunch Casserole. No need to wait for a holiday for this tasty side dish.
Family Friendly Recipes
- Comforting and simplified Easy Lasagna Casserole for those nights when you are craving the classic Italian dish with minimal effort.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises!
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Baking dish
- Potato masher
Cheesy mashed potatoes
- 3 pounds potatoes peeled if desired and quartered
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley or chives for garnish
- Place cut potatoes in a large saucepan or dutch oven, cover with cold water and stir in 2 teaspoons salt and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once the water come to a boil reduce heat to medium high to maintain the boil and cook for about 10 minutes more or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Take the pot away from heat and carefully drain all the water, mash with a potato masher to your desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 3 quart baking dish.
- Place milk and butter in a microwave safe measuring cup or bowl and heat just until butter melts.
- Cut cream cheese into small cubes and add to the pot.
- Stir in half the cheddar and half the mozzarella cheese.
- Pour in hot milk and mix everything well with a wooden spoon.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Spread potatoes on your baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Cover and bake for 15 minutes then uncover and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese melts and browns a bit to your liking.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or chives and serve.
- Feel free to add more warm milk until you reach your desired consistency.
- Refrigerate leftover tightly covered for up tp 4 days.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.