These Air Fryer Chicken Tenders are an absolute delight. Not only are they full of flavor, but they also cook up in minutes! With just a few ingredients and a little bit of butter/oil, you'll have crispy and delicious chicken tenders that the whole family will love. Serve them as is, or dip them in your favorite sauces for extra flavor.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- Quick and easy to make and the kids will love them as well!
- A great way to make a deep fried favorite healthier without sacrificing flavor.
- They don't take long to make them, they can come together in about 30 minutes.
Chicken tenders are a childhood favorite food. However, they aren't the healthiest because they are deep fried. However, with this delicious recipe you can feel better about feeding them to your kids because they are air fried and not full of oil.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Mix together the toasted bread crumbs, salt, and black pepper until well combined.
- Beat together egg, salt, pepper, mustard and onion juice. Then add in the flour to make a paste.
- Pour the egg mixture over the chicken tenderloins and toss until they are well coated.
- Press the breadcrumbs onto the chicken tenders and add them to the air fryer. Cook at 400 degrees for 5-6 minutes on each side until the chicken is done.
- If you want to have super tender meat, you can use a fork and paper to remove the tendon from inside your chicken tenderloin. This will give you amazingly soft and juicy chicken tenders.
- Make sure that you coat the chicken well in the egg and onion mixture, so that your breadcrumbs stick to the outside of the tenderloins.
- While you are adding the bread crumbs to the chicken, press down slightly so that they stick well.
- Don't overcrowd your air fryer basket when you are loading it. You want to leave a little space so that the hot hair can move freely and cook all sides of the chicken.
- Air fryers are different so until you get used to yours, you better check it 2 minutes before the suggested cooking time ends. Be sure that the chicken internal temperature reaches a minimum of 165°F when measured with a food thermometer.
Store your leftover chicken tenders in an airtight container or storage bag in the fridge for 2-3 days. Make sure to keep them tightly sealed.
⌛ Make Ahead
- For best I recommend making these chicken tenders fresh as they taste the best when freshly made. However, you could soak them in the egg mixture in a bowl wrapped in plastic wrap until you are ready to bread and air fry them.
- You can also bread the chicken tenders and freeze in a single layer until hardened. Place frozen chicken tenders in a container separated by parchment paper for up to 2-3 months.
🍽️ Serve With
- My family loves when I serve these crispy air fried chicken tenders with a traditional side dish like these Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries or if you want to add some vegetables to your plate you could make these Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables.
- I love this Air Fryer Frozen Asparagus Recipe, it is so easy, quick and we all love asparagus.
- If you are not a fan of onion flavor, you can swap out the onion juice for a little bit of pickle juice for a nice tang.
- I used panko bread crumbs for a delicious crunch but you could also use regular bread crumbs if you want a different texture.
- You can add a little heat if you a fan of spice by mixing in a little cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to your breadcrumb mixture.
I've found that the best way to reheat these chicken tenders is to place them in the air fryer at 350 degrees for 2 - 3 minutes or until they are warm all the way through. You could also reheat them in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes.
Use an instant read meat thermometer to make sure the chicken reaches 165 degrees f in the thickest part of the tender.
Yes, I recommend that you preheat the air fryer, this helps give the chicken a nice crispy exterior.
📣 Related Recipes
- These Frozen Onion Rings in the Air Fryer are a quick and easy side dish that would pair so well with these chicken tenders. Your family will love this side.
- You can never go wrong with serving buttery garlic bread as a side dish with your family. And, this Air Fryer Garlic Bread is hands down the best way to make this delicious side dish.
- Air Fryer Salmon is so delicious and easy way to make a seafood dinner. If you are looking for a new air fryer recipe this is the recipe for you.
- Frozen burgers in air fryer is a very easy and convenient way to cook juicy burgers every time. A delicious weeknight meal year round the is ready in less than 15 minutes!
Desserts to End your Meal
- Here is a delectable Lemon Poke Cake recipe that is very easy to put together. If you're a fan of tangy and refreshing desserts, this zesty treat is sure to become a favorite.
More Chicken Recipes
- For a hassle-free and flavorful meal, try these baked boneless skinless chicken thighs that deliver juicy and tender chicken with minimal effort.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises!
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Air fryer
- Mixing bowls
Air fryer chicken tenders
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3-4 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 lb chicken tenders about 13 pieces
- In a pan over medium-high heat melt ghee then add breadcrumbs and keep stirring constantly until breadcrumbs turn golden, will take about 3-4 minutes.
- Take pan from heat and immediately place breadcrumbs on a cool plat. Mix in salt and black pepper.
- Cut onion into small pieces and chop finely in a mini processor until almost liquid
- Run chopped onion through a fine mesh sieve placed on top of a bowl to catch the onion juice.
- Press with the back of a spoon to get all the juice out.
- Beat egg, salt and pepper into the onion juice.
- Add flour and mix to form a paste like mixture.
- Pour mixture over chicken tenders and toss to cover.
- Preheat air fryer to 400F.
- Place chicken tender, one at a time, on the panko breadcrumbs.
- Spoon bread crumbs over the top of the chicken tender and press to make it stick.
- Place breaded chicken on your air fryer basket, spray both sides with some cooking oil and air fry for 5-6 minutes each side or until chicken is cooked thoroughly.