These Black Forest Brownies are as rich and decadent as they sound. The homemade fudgy brownies are swirled with a sweet cherry sauce that gives it a beautiful pop of color, along with that classic chocolate cherry taste that you know and love from black forest cake.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- The homemade brownies are incredibly moist, and the cherry topping is a delicious contrast to the semi-sweet chocolate.
- Plus, these brownies are easy to make and can be made in advance for special occasions or just a sweet treat.
- The mix of chocolate and cherry flavors will have your friends and family raving about this dessert for weeks to come.
So if you're looking for an indulgent dessert that won't take all day to prepare, but tastes like it came straight from a bakery then this is the recipe for you to make. I promise you will fall in love with this sweet treat after the first bite.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- In a large mixing bowl mix in oil and granulated sugar using a wooden spoon. Add eggs, water and vanilla then mix to combine.
- Sift cocoa powder and salt over and stir well. Gradually stir in flour until just incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread half the brownies batter then top that with half the cherry sauce and swirl with a spoon. Add the remaining brownies batter and level again. Swirl the remaining cherry sauce over the top and bake.
💡 Amira's Tips
- I've found that it's easier to spray the baking dish lightly with nonstick cooking spray before you lay the parchment paper down so that it sticks and doesn't slide around.
- Don't skip the parchment paper, it allows you to remove the brownies cleanly and get nice evenly slices without worrying about them sticking to the pan.
- When you are spreading the brownies in the pan, it helps if you dip the back of the spoon that you are using in oil to help them spread and not stick to your spoon.
- Make sure that you allow the brownies to cool completely before you start to slice them. If you slice them while warm, the center will still be slightly gooey, and it will resemble a chocolate lava cake instead of a brownie.
Cover the brownies tightly with plastic wrap or store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
⌛ Make Ahead
If you ask me, these brownies taste even better the second day after they've had the time to sit up over night. So, feel free to make them 24 hours before you need them. Just allow them to come to room temperature before you serve them.
🍽️ Serve With
- These brownies are delicious on their own, but you could also serve them with your favorite meal like these Buffalo Chicken Sliders. They are so easy to make and your family will love them.
- Do not forget to them with a nice dollop of Chantilly Cream and some shaved chocolate.
- Or top them with some vanilla condensed milk ice cream, so good.
- If you're not a fan of cherry sauce, feel free to top these brownies with your favorite fruit preserves or raspberry jam.
- You could also add ⅓ cup chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans if desired.
- Change up the flavor of these brownies by using different chocolate chips, you could use peanut butter chips, dark chocolate chips, or even white chocolate chips.
Absolutely, you can freeze these brownies for up to three months. I like to slice them, wrap them individually in plastic wrap, and then store them in a freezer bag.
If you prefer your brownies warm then place in the microwave for 10-20 seconds.
📣 Related Recipes
- This Chocolate Coconut Bounty Cake is a layer of brownie crust, topped with a creamy coconut filling, and rich chocolate layer on top. You won't regret making this rich dessert.
- This Hot Fudge Sauce is super rich, and perfectly sweet. Skip the store-bought stuff, and make this quick ice cream or dessert topper at home. Plus, it would taste amazing drizzled on these brownies.
- All the chocolate lovers in your house will rejoice when you make this Homemade Chocolate Cake. It's moist and tender, and bursting with rich chocolate flavor.
- No bake Golden Oreo dessert loaded with fresh berries is the ultimate dessert for warm weather.
I hope you'll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises!
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- mixing bowl
- baking dish
Black Forest brownies
- ½ cup oil any light tasting oil like canola or avocado
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup cherry sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mix in oil and granulated sugar using a wooden spoon.
- Add eggs, water and vanilla then mix to combine.
- Sift cocoa powder and salt over and stir well.
- Gradually stir in flour until just incorporated then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread half the brownies batter over the bottom of the pan and level with the back of a spoon.
- Top that with half the cherry sauce and swirl with a spoon.
- Add the remaining brownies batter and level again.
- Swirl the remaining cherry sauce over the top.
- Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Serve topped with whipped cream, fresh cherries and shaved chocolate.
- It helps spraying the pan with a little oil before placing the parchment paper over so it sticks and keeps in place.
- This recipe only needs a bowl and a wooden spoon or a spatula, no mixer needed.
- It helps to dip the back of a dinner spoon in oil and use it to spread the brownies batter.
- It is important to let the brownies cool completely before slicing as it continues to cook as it cools. If you slice it directly after baking the brownies will not have set as well as the cherry, it will look like a lava cake.
- These brownies are even better the next day after letting it completely set and mature.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 5 days in the fridge Brownies can be frozen up to 3 months.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
Leave a Reply