Awarded the best brunch food on earth, a classic dish from the Mediterranean that you'll make over and over again. Shakshouka is an unforgettable dish with undeniable flavor and superb texture.
A great thing about shakshuka is that you can make it your own adding whatever vegetables that you like to the sauce. Check out this shakshuka version here with potato.
I've grown up to shakshuka bi-weekly and sometimes even weekly. We had it for breakfasts and suppers. There are many versions of shakshuka, the Egyptian version that I grew up having is the same as this one with the exception that we always scrambled the eggs.
My mom sometimes skipped the onions and garlic if she wanted to make it lighter and easier for digestion. Also we did not top it with feta cheese on it, so it is optional.
Eggs stewed in tomato is found all over Middle East and North Africa, and there's an Italian, Mexican and Spanish version too. Here are some suggestions:
* Morocco style: add some ground coriander, allspice, cinnamon, turmeric, and saffron to the spice mixture. You can also add sliced green olives.
* Greek style: think oregano, add more feta and olives.
* Italian style: use basil, oregano and Parmesan.
Here are shakshuka ingredients feel free to make it your own and substitute whatever makes sense or whatever you have. Do not limit yourself. Personalize with the additions of vegetables that you like to the sauce.
- Heat oil on medium and sauté onion.
- Add garlic, bell pepper and hot Chili pepper, if using, and sauté.
- Mix in the tomatoes and all the spices. Cook until juices reduce.
- Add cilantro and parsley and mix well.
- Make 4 or 6 dents and crack an egg in each.
- Lower the heat, cover and cook to your liking.
A recipe that is tasty, easy, quick, cheap, and has easy clean up? Can you believe that?.
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil. Note1
- 1 large (250g) onion, diced.
- 1 large bell (200g) pepper, any color. Diced
- 1 Chili pepper chopped. Optional. Note2
- 2 garlic cloves. Note3
- 2 1/2 cup ( 5 tomatoes Roma (277g)) tomato chopped.
- 2 Tablespoon chopped cilantro.
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin.
- 1 teaspoon paprika sweet or smoked.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- A dash of black pepper.
- 4 Large eggs.
- Feta crumbled, Chopped cilantro or parsley for garnishing.
- In a cast iron or a non stick pan over medium heat add oil.
- Add onion and sauté for two minutes.
- Add garlic, bell pepper and hot Chili pepper, if using, and sauté for another minute.
- Add the tomato and mix in all the spices until well combined.
- Simmer until tomato juices evaporate.
- Mix in chopped cilantro and parsley.
- Make four holes in the pan and crack an egg in each hole.
- Cover and let the egg poach on low to your liking about 3-5 minutes. Note4