Nutritious and healthy date shake. Sweet dates and creamy vanilla flavored milk are blended together to get this creamy, dreamy date shake or date milkshake. This rich healthy drink is naturally sweet and can be easily made vegan and dairy free.
A super easy recipe, that can be enjoyed in the afternoon or as a treat after dinner. Date shake also shows up a lot on our table during the holy month of Ramadan. Date shake is the best, it is kid friendly, healthy, naturally sweet and a power boosting drink.
This healthy date shake is one of my kids’ favorite especially in hot days. Talking about kids, I am trying to teach my kids- and myself as well – to set goals. Setting goals is a very important life skill that I did not practice or have learned when I was little and I am not talking about reaching those goals, we are still in the process of setting life goals and trying to be realistic. Wasting time is something that is underestimated in most of the Middle East region although it is highly highlighted in Islam.
So here I am sitting with my 3 kids right before the holy month starts, trying to teach them about the importance of Ramadan and that we should not waste our time especially in Ramadan , I used this comparison that if a millionaire lost $10 will he even notice it? the answer should be no, next question was supposed to be what if a person only has $70 or $80 will he notice that he lost 10 of them. To make it clear for you, I wanted them to realize that we might only have 70 or 80 Ramadans in our life time so it will be a great loss for us to waste 10 of them, as simple as that!!
Now, when I asked the kids about the millionaire, they looked at me and said you know mom, it really depends, the personality of the person really matters and also the situation like when and where he lost that money .. what happened and the circumstances.. I was like 😱.. what is the matter with you boys?!! the answer should be simply ” he will not notice the $10 as he already has many”. Seems that their life is not as simple as mine was 30 years ago 👶 .
Although their lives might not be as simple, yet they enjoyed this simple recipe of date shakes and it got their approval immediately.
Date Shake FAQs
Dates are very nutritious. In the middle east, dates are believed to be the most nutritional fruit in nature. Despite their calories, dates are high in antioxidants, fiber, several vitamins and minerals. Source
It depends on the type of dates. The most common varieties here in the United States are either deglet noor or medjool. A serving of 3.5 ounces of dates can range anywhere from 277 to 282 calories. Source.
Date Milkshake notes:
- It is sweet and if it is not sweet enough for any of them I always offer honey on the side for more sweetness.
- I have two kids who are obsessed with dates since they were little, so for them I add more dates or cubed dates in the cups for more deliciousness and sweetness.
- I add vanilla which gives this drink a dessert like aroma and enhances its sweetness so much, making it very desirable for everyone in my family.
- For my third kid, I strain the milk so there is no visible residues from the dates as he enjoys it that way and I do not add more dates for him.
- So it is your call strain or not, add extra dates or not, really it is all up to your liking. I do not add sugar or any other sweeteners to my date shake, being a sweet tooth, really this surprises me and here is a trick I use, I soak the dates ,until it is so soft, to get all the sweetness I can get from it, also adding the vanilla powder makes it taste much better and makes you feel there is more sugar in it.
- You can make this vegan by using any kind of milk, like almond milk.
I hope you’ll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter! Don’t want to miss a recipe?
Sign up for the FREE Amira’s Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Other date recipes on the blog
Healthy Date Shake Recipe
My healthy, no sugar added, no ice cream yet delicious date shake. Nutritious and tasty milkshake for kids and adults.
Healthy, no sugar date shake
- 1/3 cup dates – 4 or 5 soft Medjool dates pits removed.
- 1 cup milk any kind is ok.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Optional but highly recommended.
- More dates for the cups if you like.
- Soak the dates in the milk for as long as possible to get all the sweetness out. I soak mine for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- In your blender, blend the date with the milk and a dash of vanilla powder if using.
- In the serving cups add more dates at the bottom and pour the milk over.*
- Serve cold.