Dried fruit compote or Khoshaf, a very enjoyable, satisfying dried fruit and nuts compote. An Egyptian authentic compote recipe that goes wild especially during the holy month of Ramadan.
Ramadan food is very festive and this dry fruit recipe is one that shows up during this month.Sweet, filling and energy boosting after a long fasting day.
Dried fruit compote
I was not a big fan of khoshaf when I was growing up, I bet all kids are as they do not want to waste their time eating dry fruits :). Yet, this is an elegant, fancy dish that you can flavor with dozens of Middle East flavors. I’ve made it this time with orange blossom water but think rose water, cardamom, saffron.. etc.
Adding nuts to the compote it totally optional, but highly desirable. It adds taste, texture and makes the recipe more filling.
Dry fruits FAQs
Dried fruits include many vitamins and fibers. Apricots, prunes and figs are among the healthiest dried fruits you can consume. Source.
Obviously, you can eat dried fruits any time of the day but, dried fruits contain more calories than the fresh fruits. Hence it is recommended to eat them in the morning.
Dried fruits are high in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Some studies showed that consuming raisins may help improve blood sugar control, lower blood pressure and blood cholesterol. Source.
On terms of calories dried apricots are the least followed by dates. Prunes and figs are a little bit higher. Source.
Dried fruit compote recipe
An authentic Egyptian delicious sweet dried fruit compote to boos your energy especially during summer days.
Dried fruit compote
- 1/2 cup dried apricot.
- 1/2 cup dried figs.
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins.
- 1 cup of dried pitted prunes plums.
- 5 cup hot water or to cover.
- 1 Tablespoon sugar.
- 1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water. Note1
- Nuts of your choice preferably almonds and pine nuts.
- Cut the fruits to equal size, I like keeping the plums whole.
- In a bowl, add all the dried fruits, then cover with hot water.
- Add in the sugar if using and the orange blossom water.
- Add the nuts and mix everything well together.
- Chill in the fridge for 3-4 hours at least before serving.
- Scoop in glasses and serve cold.