An easy and simple crockpot BBQ pulled chicken recipe for when you don’t have time to stand over the stove. Just throw everything in the slow cooker and let it do its magic. Suitable for crazy weeknights or to feed a crowd.
We usually serve these as pulled chicken sandwiches with pickled cucumber and lettuce, but I am giving you more options below.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- Easy crockpot chicken recipe that is literally set and forget.
- A kid friendly, family friendly and budget friendly meal.
- Great for company so it is a party favorite too!
- Hearty lunch or dinner.
- Boneless skinless Chicken: here I've used chicken breast, you can choose whatever you have but as long as it is boneless, skinless. Adjust cooking time accordingly.
- Seasoning: I've used all purpose seasoning, any brand will be ok. Use homemade seasoning, chicken seasoning or just salt and black pepper if this is what you like.
- Garlic cloves and olive oil.
- BBQ sauce: use store bought or homemade.
- Worcestershire and soy sauces: for added flavors.
- Smoking liquid: this is optional as it gives more BBQ flavor.
- Add all the ingredients together in your slow cooker and mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces and cover well with the sauce. Cover and let it cook 3-4 hours on low or until chicken thoroughly cooked and literally fall apart.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks on a cutting board.
- Return chicken to slow cooker. Stir to coat with the sauce.
💡 Expert Tips
- I've used chicken breast in this recipe but obviously you can use chicken thighs as well.
- Add brown sugar to the bbq sauce for a more molasses sweet taste.
- Add diced onions, or bell pepper to vary the taste a bit.
Leftover can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to 4-5 months.
🍽️ Serve With
It is recommended to cook boneless skinless chicken breast on low so you will not overcook it. In fact it does not take long for this recipe to be done just 3-4 hours and you are good.
Did you forgot to take your chicken out to thaw? No problem it has been proved that cooking frozen chicken breasts in the slow cooker is completely safe but ti might need a little longer. If you want to cut back on this time, you might consider cutting the frozen chicken into smaller pieces.
📣 Related Recipes
- These baked bbq chicken drumsticks are always a hit, you are going to love them!
- Get ready to impress your friends when you serve up this delicious lemon dill chicken recipe. Tender chicken in a delicious creamy dill sauce!
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Here's the best Slow Cooker Cornish hen recipe, the whole family will love. This is a special occasion dish, but makes for a good hearty meal that can be served on a weeknight as well.
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is the right answer when spicy comfort food craving hits.
More Sandwich Recipes
- Here is a quick and easy way to make a pizza burger recipe at home. An excellent weeknight dinner and a party favorite one.
- These buffalo chicken sliders are so good, they can be served at dinner, parties or for game day.
- Classic Reuben sandwich with leftover corned beef is a hearty sandwich for quick lunch or dinner. Takes only 5-10 minutes with minimal effort.
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
Slow cooker BBQ pulled chicken
- 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce.
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon all purpose seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke optional
- 3 lbs Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Add all the ingredients , except for the chicken, together in your slow cooker and mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces and cover well with the sauce.
- Set your slow cooker for 3-4 hours on low and cook until chicken are done or a meat thermometer register 165F.
- Take the chicken out and shred with two forks.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and mix well with the sauce.
- Leave it there to soak the sauce for 30 minutes to an hour on warm.
- Serve as desired.
- Add more bbq sauce if you feel the need to. This was the right amount for my family so you can start with 1 cup and add more when it is done in the final stage after shredding the chicken.
- Use any seasonings you have chicken seasoning, all purpose, Italian or even salt and pepper.
- Store leftover in ana ir tight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
First published September 2016 . Last updated September 22, 2022 with important tips, clear step by step instructions and readability.