Vegan lentil stew is a comfort, rich and easy to make winter favorite for us.
Here is a lentil stew recipe that fills hungry tummies without breaking the bank. This recipe along with ful medames and falafel are every day's frugal recipes in Egypt.
Egyptian Vegan Lentil Stew
When it comes to vegetarian and vegan cooking in the Middle East, lentils are a favorite ingredient. Lentil dishes are considered frugal hence they are very popular in Egypt.
This vegan lentil stew is called "ads b gebbah" in Egypt, and it is one of my favorite lentil recipes. It is rich, lightly flavored, and hearty without the meat.
How to freeze lentil stew?
I always like making big batches of lentil stew then divide into containers and freeze for lunches or emergency dinners. Lentil stew freezes very well for up to 3 months and can stay in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Do you have to soak lentils before cooking?
Do not soak lentils before cooking. Just pick up any debris if any and rinse well.
Can you use canned lentils in this recipe?
Well, yes and no. I actually like using dry lentils for the texture plus it is cheaper.
How to make lentil stew?
- First you'll need to partially cook the lentils. Wash dry lentils under cold running water then place in a deep pot and cover with cold water and add a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Drain lentils and set aside.
- In the same pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Pour in the tomato sauce, paste and water.
- Stir in spices then add the partially cooked lentils.
- Reduce heat and let everything simmer for another 10-15 minutes until lentils are done to your liking.
Vegan Recipes to enjoy
I hope you'll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter! Don’t want to miss a recipe?
Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Vegan Lentil Stew
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
Vegan Lentil Stew
- 2 cups brown lentils.
- 1 medium onion- roughly chopped.
- 2 garlic clove- minced.
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste .
- 1 (14 oz) can of tomato sauce.
- 1/4 cup of water.
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander.
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Start by rinsing the lentils very well, put lentils in a deep pot, fill with cold water to cover lentils, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer until almost done, we do not want to completely cook the lentils as it will continue cooking in the tomato sauce later. Drain lentils immediately.
- In the same pot -as we do not need more cleaning- heat olive oil, saute the chopped onions, then add the garlic.
- Add tomato sauce, water and tomato paste, simmer for 3-4 minutes then add the lentils and the spices.
- Continue simmering for more 10 minutes or until lentils are completely done.
- Serving suggestion: serve topped with avocado slices, chopped onions, cilantro and eat with rice , couscous or crusty bread.