An Easy Shrimp Stew Recipe that is a delicious and hearty meal your whole family will enjoy. Packed with a tasty tomato sauce and warm spices this dish is perfect for cooler weather.
This is one of my mom's greatest hit, succulent shrimp in bold tomato sauce that bursts with flavors. Serve it over pasta or white rice and I guarantee you'll make everyone happy.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- The delicious tomato and spice sauce will tantalize your taste buds
- Easy to prepare, this shrimp stew recipe takes just thirty minutes
- A healthy dish made with simple ingredients so you don't have to spend hours tracking down specialty ingredients.
There is just something comforting about a warm bowl of shrimp stew. Whip up a batch of this delicious recipe and enjoy a cozy meal with your family.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- In a large saucepan or pot over medium-high heat add oil and saute onion, garlic and add diced tomatoes and bell pepper and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add spices and tomato paste.
- Add in water and shrimp and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover, stir in parsley and continue to cook until shrimp is fully cooked.
💡 Amira's Tips
- Make sure not to overcook the shrimp as they will become chewy and tough.
- Garnish with more freshly chopped parsley or green onions for added flavor and presentation.
- For a spicy kick, add some red pepper flakes to the tomato sauce.
- If you like seafood, feel free to add lobster or other types of fish to this dish.
- You can also make this stew with chicken instead of shrimp as well.
- To add more vegetables, add some carrots and celery.
- For a creamy version of this stew, stir in ½ cup of cream or coconut milk at the end.
Store the leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days. Make sure to keep them in an airtight container so they stay fresh.
⌛ Make Ahead
This stew is best when made fresh, but it only requires a few minutes of prep work, and less than 15 minutes to cook so you don't have to worry about spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
🍽️ Serve With
I love to serve this hearty stew over a bed of rice, and this Instant Pot Basmati Rice is my go-to rice recipe. A nice crusty bread also pairs well with this simple stew recipe, our favorite bread is this Air Fryer Garlic Bread.
Yes, this stew freezes well. Let it cool completely and store it in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to 3 months. When ready to use, thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat on the stovetop until warm.
The best way to reheat this stew is on the stovetop over medium heat. You can also use a microwave, but I find that the shrimp tends to become overcooked.
The flesh should be firm to the touch, but not rubbery. To check for doneness, insert a paring knife into one of the shrimp; if it's cooked through, the flesh will be white throughout with no traces of gray or translucency.
📣 Related Recipes
- This is a quick and easy recipe for shrimp scampi recipe that takes just minutes to prepare, perfect for busy days.
- This baked sea bass recipe is one of our favorites. A whole fish is seasoned, topped with the freshest and most flavorful vegetable mix, and baked perfectly for a flaky, healthy dinner.
- Sweet, tangy, and succulent shrimp shish kabobs are the perfect weeknight meal. A quick and easy weeknight meal that everyone will love.
- The bold spices and tangy sour cream sauce on these Baja Shrimp Tacos are going to make your mouth sing. Kick back and relax on a tropical vacation with this 20-minute easy dinner idea.
- Tender shrimp are combined with a luxurious, rich cream sauce in this Italian-inspired Creamy Tuscan Shrimp Pasta dish. A 30-minute, one-pot restaurant quality dinner your family will never forget.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises!
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Shrimp Stew Recipe
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Large Onion chopped about 1 cup
- 3 garlic cloves minced about 2 teaspoons
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 bell pepper any color, diced
- ½ cup parsley loosely packed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 Tablespoon dry mint
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon Salt. or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ cup water
- 24 oz x-large shrimp tail on, deveined
- In a large pot over medium heat add oil and saute onion for a couple of minutes then add garlic and continue cooking for 30 seconds.
- Add diced tomatoes and bell pepper and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add cumin, black pepper, salt, dry mint and tomato paste. Mix everything well.
- Add in water and shrimp and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, stir in parsley and continue to cook until shrimp is fully cooked.
- Serve over rice or with crust bread.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
First published January 28, 2015 . Last updated June 13, 2023 with important tips, clear step by step instructions and readability.
👩🏫 My Personal Experience
Today I'm bringing you this recipe that has been in the family for as long as I remember, so it has lots of good memories of family gathering, chatting, laughing and sneaking shrimp from behind mom's back, as shrimp are -and always have been- super expensive in Egypt.
My boys do not like fried shrimp, and do not ask me when did that happen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, I mean who does not !! . When they had this shrimp at my mom's once, they fell for it, and I was very happy, so when I make this recipe they keep picking up shrimp leaving the veggies behind 😊.
Let me tell you, they are missing A LOT, and I do really mean a lot, these veggies swimming in a puddle of rich tomato sauce are destined to be enjoyed over a bed of white rice. This is a match made in heaven my friends.