This Big Mac Casserole tastes just like your favorite burger from McDonald's. It's loaded with ground beef, cheese, pickles, and a special sauce that will make your taste buds sing.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- The best part is that it comes together quickly and the oven does most of the work.
- Plus it makes great leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day!
- With all the flavors of a delicious fast food burger your whole family will love this casserole!
One great thing about this casserole is that it's easy to customize and you can even prep it ahead so that dinner is ready for the oven when you get home.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add oil and sauté onions until translucent. And then, add ground beef and brown breaking it apart until no longer pink. Drain excess fat if necessary.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder, sauce, salt, and pepper then mix well.
- Spoon the ground beef mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish and spread in a single layer. Sprinkle cheese on top then arrange frozen tater tot on top.
- Bake the casserole in the center of your preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and crispy.
💡Tips for Success
- You can use any melty cheese you like. We like the flavors of cheddar or Mexican blend cheese. But, feel free to get creative.
- I like to shred my own block of cheese because I find that it melts better.
- I highly recommend using the Big Mac special sauce, but if you need to make a shortcut you can use Thousand Island dressing instead.
- When baking a casserole like this one I prefer to use a glass or ceramic baking dish. If you use a metal baking dish, you may need to adjust the cooking time.
- Serve this casserole with pickles, diced onions, shredded lettuce, and additional sauce if desired on the side or on top.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. If you don't have a lid for your casserole dish you can cover it tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap to keep your leftovers fresh.
- Reheat in the microwave or in a 350F oven until it is heated thoroughly.
⌛ Make Ahead
One great thing about this casserole is that it's make-ahead friendly! To make it ahead, assemble the casserole but do not bake it. Store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. And, then bake as directed when you are ready to serve it.
You can also freeze this casserole. Assemble but do not bake and cover tightly and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before baking as directed.
🍽️ Serve With
- This delicious Big Mac Casserole can be served as a meal all on its own but you could also pair it with these Roasted Brussels sprouts for a fresh and easy side dish.
- Serve this casserole with a fresh green salad like this Greek Salad.
- My family loves when I end a filling and hearty casserole meal with a light sweet treat like this Milk Pudding.
- Use any type of potatoes you like, French fries, cubes, or hash browns. You could also use fresh potatoes if you have them on hand.
- Add a little extra heat to this casserole by adding cayenne pepper or jalapeno slices to it.
- You can also add some vegetables like diced bell peppers, mushrooms, or corn for another layer of flavor.
- For a low carb casserole, leave out the potatoes and add in cauliflower rice, or just stop it with extra cheese or crushed keto crackers.
- Not a fan of ground beef? Swap it out for ground turkey for a little less fat.
No, they are not the same however they do taste slightly similar.
The best way to reheat this casserole is in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes. You can also heat up individual portions in the microwave.
📣 Related Recipes
- Old Fashioned Tuna Noodle Casserole is a delicious classic combination of tender egg noodles, canned tuna and creamy homemade sauce and peas.
- Mashed Potatoes Chicken Casserole is a family favorite delectable comfort food that will take your mashed potatoes to a whole new level.
More Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
- Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole is a fun spin on this classic casserole with all your favorite cowboy flavors!
- Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole is a tasty way to feed your family a filling meal.
- Hamburger Potato Casserole is hearty comforting, and full of melted gooey cheese. You can't go wrong with this tasty meal.
- This Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole captures the flavors of the old-fashioned stuffed peppers and turns it into a tasty, easy meal.
- Try this Chili Tater Tot Casserole for a fresh take on chili night. This comforting dish of crispy tater tots and melt-in-your-mouth cheese with flavorful chili meat will have everyone begging for more!
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- large skillet
- 9x13 casserole dish
Big Mac Casserole
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup homemade Big Mac sauce or use a thousand island dressing
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 24 oz frozen tater tots
- Dill pickles
- Diced white onions
- Shredded lettuce
- More sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add oil and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add ground beef and brown breaking it apart until no longer pink. Drain excess fat if necessary.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder, sauce, salt and pepper then mix well.
- Spoon the ground beef mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish and spread in a single layer.
- Sprinkle cheese on top then arrange frozen tater tot on top.
- Bake the casserole in the center of your oven for 40-45 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with toppings on the side.
- You can use any melty cheese you like.
- I highly recommend using the special sauce, but if you are feel lazy you can use thousand island dressing.
- Any leftover can be refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven at 350F until potatoes are crispy again.
- Make ahead:
- This casserole is freezer friendly. Make the casserole and do not bake. Cover tightly and freeze for up to 3 months. You can also make the ground beef mixture and freeze in a freezer bag then thaw in the refrigerator overnight and proceed with the recipe.
- Use any type of potatoes you like, French fried, cubes, or hash brown. You can also make your own potatoes.
- Spice up the meat mixture with some cayenne peppers for an extra kick. Or serve some sliced jalapeño for spicy food lovers.
- Load it up with vegetables like diced bell peppers, mushrooms or corn for another layer of flavor.
- For a low carb/ keto Big Mac casserole, remove the potatoes and top the casserole with some parmesan cheese or crushed keto crackers.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.