Super moist and packed full with cinnamon and cream cheese filling, this cinnamon cake roll is a finger liking Swiss roll cake that has been the center piece in our gatherings dessert table. Enjoy it with friends or better have it all for yourself 😋 with your afternoon tea or coffee.
We love anything and everything cinnamon. I'm discovering many ways to enjoy cinnamon roll like desserts each day and this recipe is one of the easiest Swiss cakes you can ever make.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- The recipe is a foolproof recipe for Swiss roll, if you follow the steps correctly, there is no chance of failure here.
- Festive cake for the holidays or any occasion.
- Cozy cinnamon spice flavor is perfect for fall parties and potlucks .
Cinnamon cake roll is a very delicious and easy coffee cake recipe. Suitable for after dinner treat as well as in parties and holidays. This Swiss roll cake can be prepared a day a head before serving.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
- All purpose flour.
- Baking powder.
- Confectioners sugar.
- Cream cheese.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- In a clean bowl start by beating egg whites with some vanilla and vinegar until it forms a stiff peak.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks, vanilla and sugar until creamy and color turns into pale yellow then add water.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and mix with a spatula then fold egg whites.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for just 12-15 minutes.
- While the cake is in the oven prepare the cream cheese filling. Beat cream cheese with the other filling ingredients until smooth and creamy. Prepare the cinnamon sugar.
- Wait for the cake to cool down for 5 minutes until able to handle. Dust top with some more powdered sugar and invert into a clean towel.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake leaving about ½ inch from all sides. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over and roll tightly using the towel.
- Cover rolled cakes from all sides with the towel and let it rest for about an hour in the fridges.
Leftover slices can be wrapped tightly with plastic wrap and kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
⌛ Make Ahead
You can make the cake without filling it and wrap it tightly then refrigerate for 24 hours. When ready unroll the cake and spread the filling and continue with the rest of the instructions.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This half sheet pan works great for this recipe.
📣 Related Recipes
- This tiramisu without alcohol is a holiday and party staple around here, very easy to make with my step by step tutorial.
- Trilece is a delicious Turkish take on the ever popular Tres Leches cake with rich and silky caramel layer.
- Apple cinnamon crumb cake is one of the easiest and tastiest cakes you can make using in season apples.
- Revani is a classic Mediterranean semolina cake drenched in lemon infused simple syrup and topped with coconut flakes.
- This date cake is a modern spin on my grandmas' version of date cake. Hers was really great, but this one is awesome!
- Best fluffy marshmallow frosting recipe, easy to make with a handful of ingredients. This is the perfect frosting for cakes and cupcakes.
- Fresh apples and puff pastry are the main ingredients to make these beautiful apple roses. Easy, not overly sweet and have just the right amount of cinnamon and sugar to give them a perfectly balanced flavor.
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
Cinnamon Cake Roll Recipe
For the cake:
- 4 large eggs room temperature, separated
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon white vinegar
- 6 Tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup powdered sugar 100g
- 1 cup All purpose flour 120g
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder 10g
- ¼ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup cream cheese room temperature
- ¾ -1 cup of powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon Sugar mix:
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoon sugar brown or granulated
- More powder sugar and/or ground cinnamon for dusting.
- Caramel sauce, cream cheese sauce, chocolate sauce for decoration.
- preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with oil then set aside.
- In a clean bowl start by beating egg whites, vinegar with a teaspoon of the vanilla until it forms a stiff peak.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks, the rest of the vanilla and sugar until creamy and color turns into pale yellow.
- Mix in the warm water.
- Sift the flour with the Baking powder in a third bowl and gradually add to the egg yolk mixture and mix with a spatula until all the flour disappears.
- Fold in the egg whites with slow gentle strokes.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 12-15 minutes or until top is lightly golden.
- While the cake is in the oven, prepare the filling by beating all the ingredients together until you get a nice creamy filling and set aside in your fridge.
- In another small bowl combine cinnamon and sugar together.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let it cool down for 5-10 minutes until able to handle.
- Dust top of the cake with about two tablespoons of powdered sugar then invert into a clean kitchen towel or another big parchment paper.
- Peel the parchment paper n top off of the cake. Spread the cream cheese filling over leaving about ½ inch from all the sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar mix and roll the cake tightly with the help of the towel.
- Cover the cake well from all sides with the towel or using a plastic wrap and let it cool completely then refrigerate for about an hour before serving.
- Dust with more powdered sugar and cinnamon and drizzle some caramel lines over to decorate if desired.
- You can use cocoa powder instead or with the ground cinnamon.
- I recommend baking this in a 17x12 baking sheet. You can make it in a 13x6 but the cake will be too thick and might tear while rolling.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
First published Feb 19, 2016 . Last updated November 1, 2022 with important tips, clear step by step instructions and readability.
👩🏫 My Experience
I've fallen in love with Cinnabon from the first day it opened its doors in Egypt, way way back in the old days may be 12 years ago, I do not exactly remember. Let me make something clear here, Cinnabon in Egypt is much different than here in the US - or at least in Colorado- they make the most heavenly delicious cinnamon and caramel sauce in the whole world.
I do not know why it is so dramatically different than here- although it should not-, so a word of advice, if you happen to be in Egypt do not miss the chance to grab one of their rolls and make sure it is covered all over with all sorts of goodies, you'll thank me later.
This cake has never stayed in my home for more than 12 hours, it is usually gone sooner. My kids have it for breakfast, snack, after dinner treat and all year long dessert, so I try to serve it along with some fruits to justify having more than one piece.
I've made it many times before when I had guests coming over or in potlucks and it is always a winner and everyone asks for the recipe. You do not really have to be that careful when rolling this cake as actually it does not matter if it cracked, we'll dust it with some powdered sugar and it will take care of those cracks, so do not panic.
This looks great Amira! You give me kitchen courage with all that you cook.
Appreciate you and love the fact, among many things, that I am learning about other culture's food- Egypt and the Middle East.
There is so much good in the world and we need to continue to share. Food is a great way.
Now, I do wonder if the Swiss actually came up with the 'Swiss Roll' cake!
Doesn't matter, looks wonderful! Thanks.
I'm a real fan of cinnamon too. Might be my favorite spice (although cumin and coriander give it some real competition; and black pepper, of course). Anyway, great looking roll! And interesting that Cinnabon is much better in Egypt than here. Good tip! And good recipe -- thanks.
Thanks john for your comment. I love cinnamon but do not like much of the cumin just a little bit is enough for me.
This is such a beautiful looking dessert. اللهم بارك
I have to admit, I've only used my Swiss roll tin once since I bought it a few years ago.
I want to try this recipe, one question - what size tin do you use?
I just used the usual pyrex 13x9 in pan.. to tell you the truth I did not know that such thing as " swiss roll pan" do exist hahahah... Thanks dear for the comment, Jazakom Allah Khairan.
Jazaki Allahu khayran Amira I'll tag you in on instagram once I've made your Swiss roll in shaa Allah
Wa alaykum assalaam
Thanks dear, I hope you'll like it. Actually I am on Instagram, recently I think I am the last one on earth to join and still did not fully use it!!!