Homemade cranberry sauce is made easy, fresh, refined sugar free and with a special kick. This is a healthier homemade version of the sugar loaded cranberry sauce.
Try this pumpkin jam as well, so flavorful and delicious.
This homemade cranberry sauce is the best to go with your Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey. It is healthier with no refined sugars and it is mildly sweet to accompany your dinner.
Cranberries are not famous at all back in Egypt, but I've had the pleasure to taste cranberry sauce many years ago at a friendsgiving gathering. I was not a fan...
Although I like the tartness that cranberries provide, most homemade cranberry sauce are very sweet that you can classify them as a dessert. This fact made it hard for me to eat it with turkey. I thought it is very delicious but on its own.. not as a side dish.
Why did I add the orange blossom water?
To make the sauce more well-suited as a condiment for meats, I've used honey but added orange blossom water to the mix to sweetly perfume the sauce and add fragrant flavor.
We are more used to orange blossom water than rose water in my family so I've added close to 2 teaspoons. In the ingredients though, I'm telling you to add only one as I did not want to overwhelm you if you are not quiet familiar with the ingredient.
What is cranberry sauce used for?
Usually cranberry sauce is used as a condiment for turkey in Thanksgiving. But seriously you can use it a variety of ways like:
- Topping for pancakes, waffle and ice cream.
- Make cranberry brie grilled cheese sandwich.
- Top a slice of toast with sour cream and a tablespoon of the sauce, my fav. pictured above.
- Bake oatmeal bars, muffins, coffee cakes or top mini cheesecakes.
- Make a cranberry mojito mocktail by adding it to the bottom of the glass.
Is cranberry sauce served warm or cold?
In the party that I was invited to, it was served room temperature. So I guess it is your call. You can serve it chilled or room temperature.
How long does cranberry sauce last?
Canned or homemade cranberry sauce should stay good in the fridge for 10 to 14 days. It is recommended though that you do not leave it out of the fridge at all.
Can you freeze cranberry sauce?
Yes, you can definitely freeze cranberry sauce for up to 2 months. The texture might change a bit but it will still be good to eat.
Now, how to make a healthier cranberry sauce?
- In a sauce pan, add fresh cranberries, water and honey. Stir to combine.
- When it boils and the berries are all popped, take out of heat.
- Stir in orange blossom water and cinnamon if using.
That's it, very simple to make and to enjoy in your favorite way.
I hope you'll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter!
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Healthier cranberry sauce
- One 12-ounce bag of fresh cranberries washed and drained.
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- ½ cup water
- 1-2 teaspoon orange blossom water.*
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon optional.
- In a medium saucepan, add the cranberries, honey and water. Mix well to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat stirring every now and then, simmer for 7-10 minutes until cranberries have popped and the sauce thickened to your satisfaction.
- Take the pot off heat and add in the orange blossom water and cinnamon if desired.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
You may also like: