Healthy cranberry sauce refined sugar free, fresh with whole cranberries. This homemade cranberry sauce is ready in less than 15 minutes without overwhelming orange flavor and with a special kick.
Try this pumpkin jam as well, so flavorful and delicious.
This sugar free cranberry sauce is the best to go with your Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey. It is healthier with no refined sugars and it is mildly sweet to accompany your dinner.
Cranberries are not famous at all in Egypt, but I've had the pleasure to taste cranberry sauce many years ago at a friendsgiving gathering.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
I like the tartness that cranberries provide to dishes and I like using it instead of raisins in many sweet and salty recipes. Cranberry sauces are too sweet and we felt they can be classified as a dessert.
I wanted a sauce that is not too sweet and yet has a different Mediterranean kick to it. Honey has an amazing wide range of flavors that will work and blend well with this recipe. Using orange blossom water to perfume the sauce was a wonderful addition that added citrus floral notes without being overwhelming.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
- Honey is used to sweeten the mixture, I prefer honey for its wide range of flavors. For a vegan recipe use real maple syrup instead.
- Cinnamon, Orange blossom are optional for flavor, other flavoring options listed below.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- In a sauce pan, add fresh cranberries and water.
- Stir in honey and turn on heat to medium.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until the berries are all popped.
- Take out of heat. Stir in orange blossom water and cinnamon if using.
Keep leftover cranberry sauce refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
🍽️ Serve With
Usually cranberry sauce is used as a condiment for turkey in Thanksgiving. But seriously you can use it a variety of ways like:
- Topping for pancakes, waffle and ice cream.
- Make cranberry brie grilled cheese sandwich.
- Top a slice of toast with sour cream and a tablespoon of the sauce, my fav. pictured above.
- Bake oatmeal bars, muffins, coffee cakes or top mini cheesecakes.
- Make a cranberry mojito mocktail by adding it to the bottom of the glass.
In the party that I was invited to, it was served room temperature. So I guess it is your call. You can serve it chilled or room temperature.
Canned or homemade cranberry sauce should stay good in the fridge for a week up to 10 days. It is recommended though that you do not leave it out of the fridge at all.
Yes, you can definitely freeze cranberry sauce for up to 2 months. The texture might change a bit but it will still be good to eat.
You can prepare this cranberry sauce and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days in advance.
📣 Related Recipes
- Harissa is traditional North African spicy sauce/paste used as a condiment or seasoning.
- Enjoy this delicious and simple cream cheese frosting on your favorite cakes, cupcakes and cinnamon rolls. Simple cream cheese frosting that can be adjusted to your own liking.
More Sweet Sauce Recipes
- Cherry sauce is a sweet, thick and syrupy condiment that can be used as a topping for ice cream, cheesecake, pancakes, or as a glaze for any recipe you like.
- Add a touch of richness to your dessert with this easy 10-minute easy hot fudge sauce recipe. Made with simple pantry ingredients this sauce is decadent over ice cream, brownies and much more.
- Try this Tahini sauce recipe, it is made from tahini paste and has a nutty flavor. It’s great on salads, pasta dishes, sandwiches, and more!
- Chermoula sauce is one of my favorite sauces. It’s made from fresh herbs and spices and has a unique flavor.
- Alfredo sauce is a classic Italian sauce made with butter and Parmesan cheese. However, for those who are looking for a healthier version, this recipe will show you how to make Alfredo sauce without cream.
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
Naturally sweetened cranberry sauce
- 1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries washed and drained.
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- ½ cup water
Optional for flavoring:
- 1-2 teaspoon orange blossom water highly recommended
- Zest of one orange
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, add the cranberries, honey and water. Mix well to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat stirring every now and then, simmer for 7-10 minutes until all cranberries have popped and the sauce thickened to your satisfaction.
- Take the pot off heat and add in the flavors you like. I love adding both orange blossom water and cinnamon.
- If this is your first experience with orange blossom water or if you are using a brand that is new to you, you may want to start by adding ½ teaspoon, taste then add more until you reach your perfection.
- You are welcome to add one or more of the flavoring options.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
First published Nov 8, 2018. Last updated October 21, 2022 for better images, step by step instructions and readability.