Vegan frozen okra recipe flavored with coriander, fresh cilantro and tomato sauce. One of the best vegan recipes for frozen okra.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- An easy recipe with few simple ingredients.
- The best way to use of a bag of frozen okra no need to let the okra thaw.
- Vegan, low carb and gluten free recipe.
Add to that its catchy presentation, tartness and mouth watering for okra lovers.
I've always enjoyed okra since I was in elementary school, back then we only had Fridays as a weekend and back to school again on Saturdays. So guess what?, Thursday was - and still- my favorite day of the week. I remember back then, when my mom wanted to surprise me, she used to make me an okra stew.
Since then, I'm always trying to savor this veggie with new recipes. When my mom was talking to me about this recipe, I knew immediately that I've to try it. Lemon and cilantro play a surprisingly delicious role in this dish.
You will hardly notice the slimness of okra in this dish as frying it first in olive oil then tossing it with lemon juice helps cut the slimy texture you get with this seedy vegetable.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
- A bag of frozen okra
- Olive oil, you can use vegetable oil or avocado oil.
- Tomato sauce
- Green bell pepper and fresh tomato.
- Lime juice and cilantro.
- Coriander powder.
- Salt and black pepper
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Saute frozen okra in hot oil on high until for about 5-8 minutes or until they turn a bit golden brown then add chopped cilantro and half the coriander and stir for a couple of minutes. Take the okra out on a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Remove paper towel and squeeze lime over, sprinkle with salt and mix then set aside.
- Return pan to medium heat, add more olive oil and saute onion until translucent. Add tomato sauce, ¼ cup of water and season with salt and pepper.
- In an oven safe dish add slice bell pepper and tomato wedges to the bottom of the dish and top with a couple of tablespoons of the tomato sauce we just made.
- Arrange half the fried frozen okra on top in a single layer then add half the remaining tomato sauce. Make the final layer by arranging the remaining okra then pour the remaining sauce over. Cover and bake in a 350F oven until done.
🍽️ Serve with
- Unleavened bread is easy to make and does not require any special ingredients or equipment. All you need is flour, water, olive oil and salt.
- Try this delicious and easy to follow Lebanese rice recipe, perfect side dish for any Middle Eastern meal. Garnish with fresh herbs or toasted pine nuts to boost flavors.
- Lebanese Pita Bread Recipe is a pillowy fluffy bread of the Middle East that store bought cannot even come close to.
- A fluffy rice like this Instant Pot Basmati Rice is a delicious side dish.
👍 Amira's Tips
- Quickly frying frozen okra on high makes it less slimy.
- Cilantro and lime is a flavor combination we love. However, if you do not like cilantro you can use parsley instead or skip it.
- This recipe used small whole frozen okra, you can use cut okra or fresh okra pods.
- Spiced up okra is a favorite so if you like it add a pinch of cayenne pepper too.
- Saute some fresh garlic with onions or add some garlic powder for more flavor.
- If you've always had texture issues with okra try finding baby okra, they are way better.
Refrigerate: Store leftover okra in an airtight container and refrigerate for three to four days.
Freezer: In a freezer-safe container, cooked frozen okra will technically keep for 6 months. However I recommend consuming it within 3 months.
Reheat: Allow frozen okra to thaw in the refrigerator overnight if frozen. Then, add to a large saucepan and warm on low heat for 15-20 minutes. Adding a splash of water is recommended.
📣 Related Recipes
- Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables are bursting with Mediterranean flavors from a special spice mix of oregano, sumac, dried basil and more.
- Does your family love green beans? This Mediterranean Green Bean Casserole is a flavorful classic side dish made heartier with potatoes.
💚 More Okra Recipes
- Bamya or Bamia is delicious okra stew in tomato and pepper sauce. Bamya is a middle eastern dish, popular year round.
- This Okra Beef Stew is how my mom used to cook okra. Tender beef cubes, okra, onions all cooked in flavorful perfectly spices tomato sauce. Perfect with a side of rice or bread.
If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. It is always a pleasure of mine to see your photos and check your own take of the recipe. Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
This dish is perfect for a meatless dinner or you can add ground beef to the sauce in between layers but honestly it is more delicious this way. Serve this flavorful okra with white rice or pita bread.
Frozen Okra Recipe (Vegan)
- 1 (12-14oz) Frozen Okra
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 can tomato sauce 15 oz
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup water or vegetable stock
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- juice of half a lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Roma tomato cut into wedges
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 16-oz oven dish with cooking oil. Set aside.
- Heat half the olive oil and fry the frozen okra on high for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and half the dry coriander and stir for a couple of minutes then take the okra out on a plate.
- Add lemon juice to the okra season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- On the same pan heat the remaining oil, saute onions until translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, paste, water, and the rest of the coriander season with salt and pepper. Bring to a light boil then turn heat off.
- In an oven dish arrange bell pepper and tomato slices at the bottom and top with 2-3 tablespoons of the sauce.
- Arrange half the fried okra on top then pour half the remaining tomato sauce.
- Arrange the remaining okra then top with the remaining tomato sauce. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- let it cool down then flip it over on the serving plate.
- Serve with your favorite hot sauce on the side for an extra kick.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
First published Mar 3, 2015 . Last updated Oct 24, 2023 with important tips, clear step by step instructions and readability.