These Mexican Chicken Pinwheels are the perfect appetizer for any fiesta! Made with a delicious combination of chicken, cheese, salsa, and taco seasoning, these pinwheels are sure to be a hit with all of your family and guests.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- You don't have to worry about turning on the stove to make this dish!
- These pinwheels are great for an afternoon snack or parties because they can be made ahead of time and chilled until you're ready to serve them.
- They're also easy to customize with your favorite toppings, and you can adjust the seasonings to suit your tastebuds.
- Plus, this easy recipe is great to use leftover chicken.
If you're a fan of Mexican food, then these pinwheels are a must-try! They are packed with all the classic flavors of your favorite Mexican dishes. The chicken provides protein while the cheese gives it that perfect gooey texture.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
📋 Ingredient Notes
- Cream cheese - For the best flavor and texture, I recommend using full-fat cream cheese. Low fat can be used, but full fat gives the best taste.
- Sour cream - Sour cream adds a great tang to the filling. You can substitute it with plain Greek yogurt if you prefer.
- Taco seasoning - Use your favorite brand or homemade taco seasoning.
- Shredded cheese - I like to use Colby, but feel free to use your favorite cheese blend.
- Cooked chicken - Any cooked chicken will work well in this recipe. If you don't have cooked chicken, you can bake or poach chicken breast instead.
- Corn kernels - Use frozen or canned corn, but thaw or drain first.
- Cilantro - Look for fresh cilantro that is bright green and crisp. Avoid wilted or discolored leaves.
- Salt - Adjust this to suit your tastes.
- Red bell pepper - For added color and crunch, red bell pepper is a great addition to this recipe. You can also use yellow or orange bell peppers if you prefer.
- Green bell pepper - Along with the red bell pepper, green bell pepper adds some nice texture and crunch to these pinwheels. You can use any color of bell pepper you like.
- Soft flour tortillas - I recommend using 10-inch flour tortillas for these pinwheels. You can also use whole wheat tortillas for a healthier option.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning, and shredded cheese.
- Add chicken, corn, Colby cheese, and cilantro and mix well.
- Place one tortilla on a cutting board and spread ⅙ of the cream cheese mixture on top. Roll tightly, place on a plate, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Chill for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Using a serrated knife, slice into 1-inch slices and serve with toppings of your choice.
- Your cream cheese must be completely softened and at room temperature to mix your seasonings and shredded cheese easily.
- This is a great way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken. If you don't have a rotisserie chicken, you can use any cooked chicken for this recipe.
- When you are rolling the tortillas, make sure that you roll them tightly so that the layers stick together and give you a tight seal.
- A sharp knife will work best for these Mexican roll-ups because the cheese mixture will harden slightly in the fridge while they chill.
The best thing about this recipe, if you ask me, is that it's perfect for making ahead. You want to ensure these pinwheels have at least two hours to chill before serving. However, you can make them up to 12 hours in advance.
These chicken pinwheels should be served cold or at room temperature. I don't recommend heating them as the cream cheese will melt.
Yes, you can! Once chilled in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, slice them and place them in an airtight container. They will keep well in the freezer for up to 3 months. Simply thaw them in the refrigerator before serving.
Store these Mexican chicken pinwheels in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. The longer that they sit in the fridge the softer the tortilla will become so just keep that in mind.
⌛ Make Ahead
The best thing about this recipe is that you need to make it ahead so that it has time to chill in the fridge. For best results, make sure that you make them no more than 12 hours ahead and that you keep them covered in the fridge so that they don't dry out.
🍽️ Serve With
- I love to serve these Mecian chicken pinwheels with a side of this No Tomato Guacamole and tortilla chips.
- You can't go wrong with this Smoked Queso Dip as well.
- Some of our favorites for the appetizer table are Potato croquettes and, alongside them, this Sour Cream Sauce for dipping.
- Add some heat by including green chiles or diced jalapenos in the filling or topping the pinwheels with sliced jalapenos before rolling.
- Switch up the protein and use shredded beef or turkey instead of chicken.
- For a vegetarian option, omit the chicken and add more veggies such as black beans, black olives, diced tomatoes, green onions or avocado.
📣 Related Recipes
- Do you love making delicious Mexican-inspired recipes for your family? If so, next time, add these Shrimp Fajitas to your meal plan.
- If you are looking for another comfort food dish that will please even the pickiest eaters in your household, check out this Taco Tater Tot Casserole recipe.
- These Ground Beef Empanadas are semi-homemade, and they make another delicious Mexican appetizer or meal to serve your friends and family.
- Pillsbury Crescent Roll Taco Bake is as easy and delicious as it sounds. Flavored taco meat stuffed on a thick layer of delicious butter crescent rolls and topped with your favorite taco topping for an epic taco night.
More Party Food
- These Hawaiian Roll Buffalo Chicken Sliders are so good, they can be served at dinner, parties or for game day.
- This crockpot BBQ Jelly Meatballs recipe is an easy and delicious way to entertain. Mix together meatballs with your favorite BBQ sauce and sweet jelly. Just 3 ingredients and 5 minutes of your time.
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating! Thank you.
What’s new? Check out Amira's Pantry Store on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of nostalgic goodness! Thanks so much for being a part of Amira's Pantry!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Large bowl
- Sharp knife
- Plastic wrap
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!
Mexican Chicken Pinwheels
- 1 block 8oz Cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup Colby shredded cheese
- 1 cup cooked chicken shredded
- ½ cup corn kernels
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt to your liking
- ½ red bell pepper sliced
- ½ green bell pepper sliced
- 5 flour tortillas 10 inch
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning and shredded cheese.
- Add chicken, corn, Colby cheese, cilantro and mix well. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Place one tortilla on a cutting board and spread ⅙ of the mixture about... cup on top.
- Roll up tightly, place on a plate and cover with plastic wrap.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas until done.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Slice into 1-inch pinwheels and serve with guacamole, pico de Gallo, salsa and more sour cream if desired.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.