Chicken kofta are warmly spiced and richly flavored ground chicken mixture shaped into fingers and grilled to perfection. Very popular in the Middle East and North Africa this recipe makes the perfect chicken kofta every time.
Koftas are one of the most popular food all over the Middle East, here is an easy kofta kebab recipe.
❤️ Why You'll Love It
- An exciting way to use ground chicken.
- A budget friendly recipe that feeds a crowd.
- Perfect for meal prep and great make ahead simple dinner.
- No outdoor grill? no problem this recipe can be cooked indoor too with minimal cooking efforts.
- Fully packed with middle eastern spices and herbs.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. You'll find the full measurements and instructions in the recipe card (printable) at the bottom of the page.
- Chicken breast, or use store bought ground chicken.
- Corn meal
- Spices: cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, black pepper and salt
- Ketchup, lemon juice and oil for brushing.
Note: This is an overview of the instructions. The detailed instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Add onions, garlic and parsley to the food processor and process then set aside.
- Add partially frozen chicken pieces and pulse until it is ground but it has some texture to it. Add ground chicken add all the ingredients to the parsley mixture, and mix well by hands.
- Combine the brushing solution well then moisten your hands and start shaping the kabobs.
- Brush kofta with the solution and bake or grill as directed below.
💡 Amira's Tips
- Soak the bamboo skewers in cold water for 30 minutes before grilling.
- If you find it hard to shape the kofta, refrigerate the chicken mixture after mixing for easy handling for about 30 minutes.
- The mixture can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours and can be frozen as well.
- Oven instructions: Brush kabob with the brushing solution , arrange in an oven safe dish nd bake for only 10 minutes.
- Take them out, brush and return to oven for another 10 minutes.
- Outdoor grill: I highly recommend baking them in the oven for 5 minutes on each side brushing with the solution in between. While they are in the oven, heat and oil your grill generously then finish them up there to get the nice grilling marks and smell.
Store leftover in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
🍽️ Serve With
- This Middle Eastern chicken kofta is usually served with tahini dip, yougurt dip or baba ghanoush.
- Serve it over some yellow turmeric rice, wrapped in whole wheat pita bread, over some instant pot basmati rice and some Mediterranean roasted vegetables.
Enjoy right out of the grill with some of the side dishes mentioned above. You can also shape your chicken kofta and stash them in your freezer so you always have the building blocks of a great meal. These goes right from freezer to oven just give them a minutes or two longer.
Another way to enjoy them is to simmer in tomato sauce, then serve over grains or greens. But this is something I do not usually do.
- Flavorful ground chicken patties, breaded and fried to crispy golden perfection. This chicken patties recipe is a winner chicken dinner indeed.
- Gluten free meatballs made with fresh herbs, spices and rice flour. This is also known as the Egyptian rice meatballs. Diary and egg free.
Recipes for The Grill
- These delicious shish kabob skewers are easy to prepare and they taste better than high quality restaurant. Beef steak marinated in a mixture of herbs and warm spices before being grilled on skewers. I've included oven instructions too.
- Kofta kebabs are a delicious and popular Middle Eastern dish that are perfect for grilling or cooking in the oven.
Don’t want to miss a recipe? Sign up for the FREE Amira's Pantry newsletter delivered to your inbox with lots of tips and surprises! And stay in touch with me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest updates.
Chicken Kofta Recipe
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 cup parsley chopped.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast roughly dices.
- 3 Tablespoons butter room temperature.
- 3 Tablespoons yogurt
- 3 Tablespoon corm meal
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoon oil preferably not olive oil.
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Soak wooden skewers for 30 minutes before using.
- In your food processor, add onions, garlic and parsley. Mix well, empty mixture in a deep bowl and set aside.
- Add chicken pieces to the food processor and mix. Add minced chicken to the parsley onion mixture.
- Add all other ingredients spices, yogurt, cornmeal and butter.
- combine well with a spoon or with your hands until everything is evenly mixed.
- You can cover and refrigerate mixture for up to 24 hours
Shaping and cooking:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place two oven racks, one in the upper third and one in the second third of the oven
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Mix all brushing solution ingredients in a small bowl.
- Moisten your hands with the brushing solution, take a fistful of the chicken mixture and shape on skewers . Arrange on a baking dish.
- Lightly brush the chicken kofta with the brushing solutions.
- Place baking dish in the lower rack of the oven for 10 minutes.
- Take the dish out, turn the kebab the other side and brush more with the solution.
- Return to the upper rack in the oven for another 10 minutes or finish off on a preheated grill.
- It is always best to cook this chicken koftas in the oven first for just 10 minutes, turning them in between and brushing the other side, before putting them on the grill, I’ve found this to be very useful and easier for handling ground chicken.
- Check the post above for more tips and tricks.
- Please check the nutrition disclaimer policy.
Sign up and learn more about Mediterranean flavors
First published May 7, 2018 . Last updated May 31, 2023 with important tips, clear step by step instructions and readability.